As Dr. Norskov continued with his little introduction to lab, my mind was far from the lecture...
Taking another chomp on my mint-flavored chewing gun, my attention was riveted to what lay on the counter. In my mind, when he had said “mink”, I was picturing this cute, furry, long-tailed, little creature rolling around with a ball in the pet store. There, sealed in a plastic bag, lay a very un-lifelike looking grayish mass, partially floating in what Jessie (one of my lab partners) termed “mink juice.” It had a strange resemblance to something I had once seen packaged in Saran wrap in the grocery store… or maybe that was just my imagination.
As they removed the dripping, grayish mass from the bag, the pungent scent of formaldehyde permeated the air.
*blink*…*blink*blink*… “Oh no you don’t! If you even think about passing out right now…” I fixed my gaze on the lab book in front of me… “Come on… you can handle this… you’ve seen 2D road-kill before!... not to mention all the deer carcasses our collie used to drag into the front yard during hunting season…” The awful scent remained, but after a second my vision cleared and I was back to “normal.”
While returning to our table, I passed another group that had just picked out their mink as well. Unfortunately not everyone shares my sense of humor, as my comment of, “Boy, you picked a cute one!”, was met by protesting squeals of, “Oh sick! And we’re just about to cut him up!”
We got ourselves a tray, scissors, tweezers, tags, and some blunt-tipped probing things, and set to work. Cutting open the bag, we pulled out our little creature who was indeed grinning ear to ear, rather ominously. Teeth were about the only recognizable feature the poor little fellow had left on his face.
“Awww look… he’s smiling at you!” My lab partners (Jessie and Emily) chuckled, as we laid the little fellow face-up on the tray.
After exposing the muscle, our next task was to identify and tag certain muscles from a list we were given. “Sternomastoid, Pectoralis major, Pectoralis minor, Serratus ventralis, Transverse abdominis, Clavotrapezius, Gluteus maximus, Gastrocnemius…”, and the list went on. As Emily labeled the tags, Jessie and I poked and prodded, uncovering the various muscles. Upon locating one from the list, we would stab two holes in the muscle and slide a tag through, looping and cinching the tag.
Then it was time to say good-bye to our furless little friend. We returned him to his plastic bag of mink juice, and began cleaning up our area. Using a paper towel, we scooped up all the scattered chunks of muscle fiber and fat tissue. I casually mentioned that the stuff had a striking resemblance to veggie burger… But once again, my appreciation for the lighter side of things was not so equally shared by all those around me.
When lab was finished that day, I stepped out of the room with a new appreciation for what an awesome Creator we have, and also for fresh air. Now it was on to other classes, other appointments, other fragrances…
Reaching up to brush a strand of hair out of my face, I caught the pungent scent of formaldehyde still lingering on my hand. At least for a couple more hours I would not be forgetting that day’s A&P lab…
-Shannon
(The result of too much A&P study and lemon-lime chewing gum...)
5 comments:
hey sis. wow what an excitting time you had in the lab, i can't wait till we start disecting... you're such a good writter, unlike me...
glad you're having fun and enjoying your time.
can't wait to see you in 4 or so weeks.
take care and keep on writting!!!
love you very much!
Hey girl! Nice post--hilarious! Well, I've been trying to get signed up for GYC and it's not working out!! If you happen to get this while it's still Sunday maybe you could sign me up? It won't let me do it since I'm 17. Anyway, see ya later! I'll keep trying to get ahold of you.
Mmmm...formaldehyde! The only thing I've ever dissected was a frog, and it brings back vivid memories of, well, formaldehyde:-D Definitely a long-lasting, odiforous experience! Glad you chose a "friendly" mink. Sure was nice of him to smile back at you;-)
i'm glad i'm not in your class... a live mink smells bad enough :-) i remember once in 6th grade - we dissected a cow's eye for science class.
Lol! Seriously, you make me want to study Nursing. I've dissected a sheep's brain, but nothing resembling an animal - but from the pictures, you haven't either...
2D road kill - I love it! It's almost midnight and I was laughing so hard I was afraid I was going to wake my roommates.
I'm sure you could sell it if it's marked down that much - even smelling like formaldehyde... Oh, and the quips - their endless! "That's a raw deal," or, "Cut the fat and get to the point," and when you're looking for the Gluteus Maximus, "Let's get to the bottom of this," etc...
It'd be exciting to be your lab partner. Though I can't imagine you getting queasy - if you got queasy, I'm sure I'd have been out cold on the floor...
Great writing - keep it up!
Post a Comment