Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Lessons from a 10-month old

It's a seemingly futile process… I hurriedly sweep the pile of dirt two feet away, while trying to collect more in the process; and within five seconds she’s back again – reaching for the silt covered pieces of food that she threw disgustedly from her tray not ten minutes ago. I sweep faster – she crawls faster. It’s an endless battle. Eventually the floor gets cleaned – be it from the broom or Anisa, I can’t exactly say… but I guess the point is that it’s clean…

lol… Meet Anisa - ten months old and full of life and energy. (Also my little companion every Monday from 11:00 to 5:00.) The name “Anisa” means companion, or faithful friend… and I would have to say that even at ten months old she is already trying to live up to her name. She is one of the most bubbly and cheerful babies I have ever met; and although she may be the baby, and I the babysitter, she has taught me many important life lessons in the few short weeks that I’ve know her...


(Don't think too deep now... this isn't rocket science :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When God calls you, He’s not just practicing saying your name.

Wear good shoes on slippery ground.

When God takes something away from you, it's generally for your own good.

Pouting doesn't elicit sympathy.

Sometimes you need to choke down the warm, green stuff in order to grow stronger, and be able to appreciate the good stuff.

The buckle is there for a reason.

Kicking and screaming won’t get you anywhere.

If you can’t get it on your own, don’t be afraid to ask for help.

Hiding from God doesn't work.

Toys can only keep you happy for so long.

When you get yourself in stinky situations, God can change them.

Not everything within your grasp is meant to be yours.

Though unsteady at first, with time you will improve.



Don't be afraid to let it show when you're happy.

It's okay to cry for a little while… just be sure you know the definition of “a little while.”

Bring a smile to someone else’s face.

Go as far as you are able to.

And when you’re too tired to go any further, remember that God is right there to pick you up and carry you in His arms.

- Shannon

6 comments:

Luther said...

That's some profound stuff, Shannon! In fact, that was good enough to go into a book or something:) It's really neat how God can teach us lessons through so many things in life...

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannie,
She's ADORABLE! Looks like she could be yours!! You had hair just like that when you were that age.
Love you,
Mom

Joelle said...

What a cute baby!
Great applications. We "big people" can learn so much from little children.

joar andré said...

I'd consider those lessons a lot more valuable than some of the stuff I'm learning in my theology classes in college...!!!

Brandon said...

Wow, those eyes are AMAZING! It makes me want to take pictures!

Kelsey said...

Oh, that's sweet, Shannon. I've met little Anisa, and she sure is a sweetie. I'm glad they found a good sitter. :)