We arrived at the PX on base, (the military shopping center), and I called Sveta up and asked her what she was doing. She said that she was there at the PX with her battle buddy. I then asked her if she wanted to meet up with me there... she nearly went ballistic! lol She tried asking if there was anyone else with me, but I avoided the question with some comment about me heading in right then. lol
When we walked in the building, there she was coming towards us, tears streaming down her face, saying, "You guys are so bad! You're so bad!" lol It was great. :)
The rest of the afternoon was spent getting a tour of the base and her dorm, and sitting around chatting. It was so good to see her again. :)
Friday morning found us up bright and early, there at the base, in order to get good seats for graduation. The ceremony started at nine, but Sveta and her company, along with the three other companies graduating, were standing out in the sun for an hour beforehand. Dad had brought his binoculars, and we could see the sweat pouring down her face. lol It looked pretty miserable.
After the ceremony, we were allowed to take Sveta off base for the rest of the day. We weren't exactly sure where to go, but Sveta just wanted to get AWAY from Fort Jackson, so we drove into downtown Columbia, and found a Barns & Nobles to hang out at for a while. :) Then around noon we went to Mellow Mushroom for lunch.
By the time we were through in Columbia, it was getting close to 3 p.m., and we still had a 4+ hour drive home that afternoon. We took Sveta back to base, and stopped by the PX so she could pick up a backpack that she needed. While we were in there, a female voice came over the intercom, "Attention Kmart shopp... I mean... Attention shoppers..." lol We all died laughing there in the backpack aisle. :)
Not long after, it was time to say goodbye, and we dropped Sveta off at her barracks. She had to do laundry and pack that night, seeing as she was flying out to Houston, TX for Medic her training, today.
The drive home was much more enjoyable, seeing as I had Michael and Elise in the car to keep me company. :) I don't like long car rides alone. :(
Sveta called today, and she made it to Houston. She says it's very pretty there - everything's green, but very hot and humid. She says it's hard getting used to the relaxed atmosphere there, compared to Basic; but I guess she'll get used to it soon enough. :) Hopefully now too she can have a little more contact with the rest of the world... and not have to do 25 push-ups for every letter she receives. :p
(Wearing her favorite BCG's - Birth Control Glasses. ;)
- Shannon
5 comments:
Hehe, more power to her but glad it's not me!! Basic magabook training for these kids is intense enough :-P Hey I've got my first Bible study set up for this Friday! I'm very excited. Take care. --Kristi
Is that really what she calls them "birth control glasses" that is hilarious!
lol... no, that's what the whole ARMY calls them! Everyone who needs glasses in Basic gets a pair of BCGs. :)
I figured they must be standard issue. I couldn't imagine an ophthalmologist saying "Yes, that look fits you well. It makes you look very sophisticated and distinguished."
Didn't she take nursing? What's with the military?
Yeah, she is taking nursing... just via the army. Supposedly no nursing slots were open when she signed up, so she took the medic rout with the hopes of being offered a nursing position (all nursing students have to go through medic training anyhow).
Post a Comment