So I just found the best vegan Alfredo sauce that I've ever tasted! It's originally from this site - Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! We experimented with it in a white vegetable lasagna this weekend, and the results were exceptional. ;) Anyhow, I got to thinking about all the other yummy things you could do with this sauce. I'm considering trying it as a white mac n cheese next. Oh, and the recipe calls for white cooking wine but we didn't use it and it turned out fine. Also some people suggested adding a little lemon juice for more of a "cheesy zing." Not sure exactly what they're alluding to, but I'm going to give it a try next time I make it. ;)
Lachesis' Amazing Alfredo Sauce1/2c Earth Balance (or a little more is fine, to taste)
2 cups soymilk (unsweetened is best)
1 package Extra firm tofu (Mori-nu.. the kind in the tetra pack, appr 12 ounces)
1-2 tbsp white cooking wine
2 tbsp onion powder
2-3 tsp garlic powder
1-2 tsp sea salt
1-2 tsp black pepper (to taste)
pinch of nutmeg
3-4 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch powder (more or less, as needed.. it should be creamy and the margarine should not separate) + a little cold soy milk just to dissolve
Mix all ingredients in either in a food processor or already in saucepan with hand blender. Heat over med lo heat until hot, stirring often. whisk in arrowroot/cornstarch mixture and heat until just bubbling. do not let boil. Sauce should be thicker by now. Serve and enjoy!
1 comment:
So definitely go easy on the black pepper! Maybe 1/2 tsp? Or 1 tsp if you really like black pepper... but two was overkill. Forgot to try the lemon juice. Next time. ;)
Post a Comment