The other night I sang for one of our churches evangelistic meetings. Before our Pastor got up to preach, he came over to where I was sitting and told me that towards the end of his message he was going to say something along the lines of, “...and now as Shannon sings for us…,” and that would be the cue to make my way to the piano.
The sermon was on God’s incredible love for mankind. Part way through, Pastor Chad began telling an illustration about a young lady, ironically named Shannon...
Shannon was living a wild and reckless life, and at the age of 16, she became pregnant and had a baby. Soon afterwards she fell into depression, and turned to drugs and alcohol to cope with life. Unable to find happiness, Shannon got married. This only made life more miserable for her, and she found herself falling deeper and deeper into her addictions. One morning, as Shannon woke up from another hangover, she turned on her TV and came across an evangelist preaching on God’s love. As Shannon listened, she began to sense a love she had never known before. Her heart was touched, and she gave her life to Christ…
As I sat there listening to the sermon, inside I’m thinking, “please don’t let this be close to the end, please don’t let this be close to the end...” Not a minute later, what should we hear but, “…And now as Shannon comes forward to sing for us…” Biting my lip and staring straight at the piano, I made my way forward. Inside, a battle was being waged to regain my composure… I was ready to explode with laughter! lol
I’m not sure how I ever managed to keep a straight face while singing that appeal song… The whole while, I could just picture some poor soul out there thinking, “My she sure looks good for having been on all those drugs and had a baby!”
As my mom and I laughed about it afterwards, I commented that if even one person was touched by “Shannon’s” testimony… well, praise God! lol
And here I had always thought my testimony wasn’t all that exciting…
- Shannon
4 comments:
haha - thanks for sharing "your" testimony. it really made me laugh :-) you should send the story to adventist review or something. they'd probably print it under "adventist life"...
oh, and now we're all wondering: did Suki make it back to southern?
That's great Shannon! Wow, you sure do look good for having a baby! Where is she and you got married without telling me? lol. Great story!
lol... actually, Suki hasn't made it back to southern yet! He should be on his way as I write. I didn't get in until late Sunday night, and I knew I would have to make two trips to haul all my stuff plus Suki up to my room... so I left him at home, for mom to bring up today. lol He's never going to want to ride with me again, after riding with her! :p Some fish just don't know how to appreciate good driving...
Post a Comment