As 9:45 p.m. came around that Thursday, I was headed out of the dorm with my scuba gear, backpack, and pillow. This was going to be a looooong night. But I haven’t known too many overnight bus rides to prove themselves very short. We were to arrive in Florida for breakfast the following morning… at 6:30 a.m. Joy oh joy.
As I had expected, the night was a long one. On the bright side, it did provide ample time for deep contemplation of life’s many perplexities. Sad to say, no grand epiphanies were experienced. ;)
At 6:30 the next morning, a bleary-eyed group of 19 college students stumbled into the local Denny’s, in Crystal River, Florida. Yummy! Let’s see… that will be oatmeal and fruit for me. :P Unfortunately our waiter informed us that the “fruit” would just consist of grapes and pineapples… seeing as they were out of bananas. I nearly choked on my water. I assured her that that was perfectly fine with me.
After breakfast, we loaded back into the van, and headed down the road to our first dive site – Crystal River. We arrived at the local dive shop, and began struggling into our gear (a comical site to behold, I assure you). We were then assigned to four boats, and told to keep our eyes out for manatee. Right away we began seeing them. They were a lot bigger than I had imagined – almost intimidating… (if you can imagine a sea cow being intimidating).
We dove there for the remainder of the morning, performing our dive skills, and swimming with the manatee. Underwater visibility was about five feet, and partway through the morning it began raining – completely drenching us. :p (yeah, so that joke got old REAL fast…) This didn’t do much to improve the visibility.
After having completed three dives, we pried ourselves out of our wetsuits, and headed off to some fine dining - Taco Bell! I can honestly say that Taco Bell never tasted so good before… and it was warm. I sat there shivering in my damp swimsuit, clutching my warm burrito… I didn’t want to eat it. lol
Our second dive was definitely the most interesting. We arrived at Manatee Springs State Park to be told that we wouldn’t be able to dive in the main spring. We would have to dive in Catfish Sinkhole.
Now there are times when I am grateful for ignorance, and this was definitely one of them. We were still damp and cold, and it was still raining, so needless to say, none of us were in the gung-ho mood. Our instructors led us along a path, to what we assumed would be the dive site; but instead stopped in front of a stagnant looking pond, literally covered in green stuff (you could see no water). “This is it!” they informed us. At first I honestly thought they were kidding. “We’re going scuba diving in THERE?” some brave soul quarried from the back of the group. “Sure are!” came the cheery reply. “Oh, and don’t worry about the green stuff… that’s just Duck Weed. It will clear away as soon as we begin stirring up the water.” Oh boy… I’d always wanted to swim in a pond covered in green stuff…
They split us up into two groups, and group one got their gear on and headed in. I was in group two, so I decided to stand on the deck, in the rain, and watch to see what REALLY happened with the green stuff when group one got in. As they walked into the water, sure enough, the Duck Weed began clearing away – and low and behold, there was water! Crystal clear water that revealed a view nearly all the way to the bottom – 90 feet down!!!
Now by this point, I was getting excited. There supposedly was a cave somewhere down there too, that led to the main spring. We were told that we couldn’t go in it, but it would still be neat just to see it.
When it came time for group two to go in, I was ready. The view underwater was incredible, and we went to a little below 50 feet (somewhere between 50 and 55 ft. I think). The coolest part for me, though, was looking up towards the surface, from 50 some feet below, and realizing that I am actually down here breathing! It’s an incredible feeling.
The dive was over way to soon, and we were loaded up again, and headed off to Camp Kulaqua where we were to spend Friday night, Sabbath, and Saturday night.
Sabbath morning we had our own little church service, and then the rest of the day was spent playing frisbee, visiting the camp zoo, going for a hike, picking off ticks, canoeing, etc…
There was one incident that I must relate, due to its hilarity…
Early in the afternoon, four of us decided to go canoeing down the small river that was fed by the spring. We go into two canoes, and immediately the adventure began. First, someone nearly fell out of the other canoe, while trying to step into it. Then their canoe was having difficulty maintaining a straight course, which provided much mirth and photo opportunities.
We canoed for a little less than an hour, through some incredible, jungle-like surroundings, until finally we reached the main river. From there we headed upstream for another half hour or so. We saw turtles, fish, and this one great blue heron that seemed to be stalking us. Then we met a guy along side the river who told us to keep our eyes out for alligators! We hadn’t really taken those into consideration…
As we canoed back to camp, we met up with some others from our group who had decided to canoe as well.
We were in the home stretch, and another canoe decided to race our canoe. We began paddling furiously, and were staying in the lead, until the guy in the front of the other canoe grabbed onto ours and wouldn’t let go.
The two guys in the front of both canoes continued to cling to the other’s canoe, while me and the other guy in the backs of the canoes continued paddling. After a short while, the other guy in the back suggested that he and I switch canoes, confusing the two up front.
That was when it happened…
Grabbing the edge of the canoe with one hand, I picked up my camera (in its case) with the other hand and went to cross over. As I swung my hand to the other side of the canoe, my camera went flying out of its case… and into the murky water…
“Oh dear…I just TOTALLY threw my camera in the river!!!”
Instantly I froze in reflective horror… Where on earth did THAT come from??? (Later contemplation of this random comment would produce bouts of hysterical laughter. I never, and I mean NEVER, use the word “totally” like that! I later came to the conclusion that it must have been the best expletive this poor sheltered homeschooler could produce on the spur of the moment. Foul, I know. )
So there I was, standing partway between two canoes, empty camera case in hand. The camera had instantly sunk out of sight, and we were floating away from the spot where it had fallen in. I deemed the situation as pretty hopeless, but the other guys suggested that we get in the river and look for it.
We pulled the canoes over to the shore, said a quick prayer, and began wading into the murky, brown water. Feeling with our toes was the only possible way that we could find it, and thankfully the river wasn’t too deep. One of the guys commented on the unfortunate fact that there were snapping turtles in these rivers… comforting.
After about five minutes, and countless stares from random passers-by, one of the guys reached down into the water and pulled out my camera! We immediately took out the battery, and then said another prayer of thanks. Then it was back to the cabin to try and dry it out.
That night, our bus driver took us to the nearby mall to get supper and go shopping. After eating a yummy veggie wrap in the food court, I made a beeline for the Radio Shack (what?... isn’t that the first place every girl hits when she goes to the mall?) :p I was on the hunt for a small screwdriver for my camera, and that was the only place that I could think would have one.
Needless to say, as other girls left the mall with their Aero, American Eagle, Bath & Body Works, and Victoria Secret bags… I left carrying my little Radio Shack bag. :p
The next morning, at 6:30, we were loaded up and leaving camp Kulaqua, for our final dive of the trip.
The site was a place called Blue Grotto Dive Resort, and it was amazing. After gearing up, we again split into our two groups. This time, group two got to go first.
Walking down the stairs that led to the spring, I was amazed by the color of the water… It was such a pretty aqua blue! We got in, and began descending. Pretty fish swam around us, some passing directly in front on our masks! lol
We were told to stay in direct view of the surface, but were allowed to go in the dive bell located just under the ledge of the grotto.
The bell was a glass dome that is pumped with air from the surface. Divers can pop their head up inside it, take out their regulator, and chat with their dive buddy. Looking through the glass at the other divers, I was reminded of standing in front of the glass at the aquarium, as a little kid, wishing I could be in the water with the fish… and now I was! lol Again… a really cool feeling.
All too quickly, our last dive was finished, and we began disassembling our gear. After everything was loaded up, our instructor began passing out our dive cards - we were now lifelong certified scuba divers!!!
The trip back was uneventful, and far sooner than any of us desired, our bus was pulling into Taylor Circle at Southern.
As I walked into my dorm room that night, I had such a good feeling inside… I had accomplished another one of my lifelong goals, and besides that… I didn’t have to eat another banana for as long as I wanted! Or at least until the next dive…
- Shannon

2 comments:
So, did you manage to avoid getting leg cramps? Hope so after all those bananas! How did the camera escapade turn out? Shame on you for participating in such a dangerous sport, by the way. I can hardly wait till I can get my license! ;-) :-P Miss ya
Enjoyed the story very much! I think the Blue Grotto is where I have dove before. Not sure...but I think so. Thanks for sharing with all the rest of us your adventures.
Pr. Chad
Post a Comment